The Lange Voorhout in The Haque was built during the Bronze Age. The earliest evidence of human presence dates back to the Middle Bronze Age, which corresponds to the period between 1500 and 1300 BC, and is found in field layers containing charcoal remains.
The counts of Holland built their first residence nearby in the 13th century, 1,000 years after the end of the Roman era, and organized tournaments on the nearby field.
Lange Voorhout is a name that dates back to the 15th century and refers to a spur of The Hague Forest. The construction of the Kloosterkerk, part of a Dominican monastery, marks the beginning of a period of historical significance. Lange Voorhout gradually develops the distinctive L shape that distinguishes it.
In 1536, on the occasion of the ninth Chapter of the Order of the Golden Fleece, the Emperor of the Netherlands, Charles V, spent a few days in The Hague. He directed that four rows of lime trees be “planted and established in the Voorhout district of The Hague.” During the iconoclasm of 1566, the Kloosterkerk was pillaged and looted. Since 1589, the Kloosterkerk has served as an artillery foundry housed in the choir.
The Counter-Remonstrants’ forced commissioning of the Kloosterkerk in 1617 received the support of Prince Maurice in the 17th century. With the arrival in The Hague of the Elector Frederick V of the Palatinate and his wife, Elizabeth Stuart (“the Winter King and Winter Queen”) in 1621, the couple moved into a house on Lange Voorhout, which they named after their son Frederick V of the Palatinate. The Kloosterkerk serves as a baptismal site for nine of their children. During the Golden Age, Voorhout is transformed into a meeting place for the elite. The refusal of the Spanish envoy to yield the right of way to the carriage of the French envoy raises the possibility of a serious diplomatic incident.
The eighteenth century
The majority of the smaller houses have been demolished and replaced by stately buildings still in use today and inhabited by nobility and patricians. When Stadholder William IV and his consort Princess Anna moved into the Bentinck House at number 7 Lange Voorhout in 1747, it was considered a watershed moment. A caramel bonbon named after Hendrik baron Hop was created for the diplomat Hendrik baron Hop, who lived at number 94 and commissioned the production of caramel bonbons that were later named after him.
During the nineteenth century
With support from the Triumvirate, Leopold Count of Limburg Stirum fought from Lange Voorhout 19 in November 1813 to restore the House of Orange, which ultimately brought King William I to power. The Bashkirian Cossacks established a camp at Lange Voorhout in December 1813, the day after forming a guard of honor for the king’s inauguration in Amsterdam, and remained there for the rest of the month.
From 1813 to 1817, the Huguetan House, located at 34 Lange Voorhout, served as the king’s temporary residence and palace. In the meantime, the Huguetan House served as the temporary residence of his son, the Prince of Orange. The royal residence at Lange Voorhout 74 was home to several royal family members at various times. On Lange Voorhout 5 was built the concert hall and theater Diligentia, which opened its doors in 1821. In 1866, Charles Bernhard, Duke of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, erected a statue commemorating the occasion. Alexandrine Tinne, a photographer and explorer who lives at number 32, is the one who takes the first photographs of the Lange Voorhout, which she develops in a blinded carriage while on the island. William Baron van Brienen von de Groote Lindt sold his city palace at 56 Lange Voorhout in 1881, which was extensively renovated and transformed into the Hotel des Indes a few years later. In 1896, the painterly society Pulchri Studio relocated to Lange Voorhout 15, where it has remained since.
When Paul Kruger, President of the South African Republic, arrived at Lange Voorhout 56 in December 1900, there were crowds of people waiting to greet him. Lange Voorhout 74 was the location of Queen Emma’s palace when she moved there in 1901. Fortunately, the Kloosterkerk was spared demolition in 1912. Helene Kröller-Müller opens her first museum at 1 Lange Voorhout in Amsterdam in 1913. Following Troelstra’s failed revolution attempt on the 18th of November 1918, Queen Wilhelmina and Princess Juliana embark on a calèche tour of Voorhout, greeted with applause by the assembled crowd. Following World War II, many stately homes were converted into offices. The Kloosterkerk re-establishes itself in its original form in 1957. 1959 The opening of the chancellery of the American Embassy in The Hague, designed by Marcel Breuer, is witnessed by a stunned audience in The Hague. Queen Juliana had the Lange Voorhout Palace sold and turned into a museum during her reign. The palace had served as a nerve center for cabinet formations and was frequently used. It was evident that the Lange Voorhout was deteriorating and becoming polluted during the 1970s and 1980s. Due to this decline, the Friends of the Lange Voorhout Foundation was established in 1998 to fight for preserving the Lange Voorhout and its experiential value. The foundation has been active since then. The foundation also encourages cultural and other activities that positively impact the climate for both residents and visitors to the area.
The twenty-first century
The Lange Voorhout was wholly renovated in 2009. The ground was dug open to three meters, and a structure was built to protect the tree roots from being exposed to the elements. Concrete piles were excavated and placed to support the sculptures for the annual sculpture exhibition. The return of the “lice benches,” where visitors can sit side by side, and the restoration of the lighting to its 19th-century appearance. On Princess Day, the route of the golden carriage is marked by gold crowns affixed to the lanterns. Having relocated to Wassenaar, Marcel Breuer’s building has been designated as a contemporary architecture museum. The construction of the Museum Quarter parking lot allows residents, users, and visitors to enjoy Lange Voorhout more easily.
Source: All Nice Hotels